According to Eric Qualman in his Social Media Revolution 2015 update, 53% of Millennials would rather lose their sense of smell than their technology. When I first saw the stat, it seemed completely ridiculous, and clearly wrong. But the more I thought about this from my own perspective, the more reasonable it seemed. I’m still not sure where I stand on the technology/smell debate, but here are 7 things that would be worse for a Millennial than having no technology:
1. Paper cuts everywhere, forever
2. Waking up to a mosquito swarm in your bedroom
3. Realizing that you’re out of milk AFTER pouring the cereal into a bowl
4. Stubbing your pinky toe on the same corner twice in one night
5. Making the effort to get up early, prep food, put it into the crock pot, and feeling proud of adulting. Then coming home from class/work and discovering that you never turned it on
6. Having to make an actual phone call to schedule an appointment.
7. Any store that only takes cash and responds to your dejected look with “Or you could write a check!” Sure, because I definitely keep those on me
Other than that, give me the technology! As digital natives, technology is not a tool which Millennials utilize to get things done – it’s the toolbox itself.